Essa Public Library
A Place For All Seasons
ESSA PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD
Monday, May 25, 2009, 7:00pm
Angus Branch, Essa Public Library
Board Directors: D. McKeever, Chair; L. Hunt, Vice-Chair; R. Newlove, Council Representative;
M. Adams; L. Arcan; R. Cade, K. Hallikainen; D. Sasco.
CEO/Secretary: J. Harris-Wheatley.
1. Call to Order at 7:00pm by Chair D. McKeever
2. Approval of the Agenda
2009: 028 Moved: Seconded:
THAT the Agenda for May 25, 2009 be approved as printed and circulated.
3. Declaration of Any Conflicts of Interest
4. Angus Building Committee (Chairperson: D. Sasco)
Guest: Mike Galloway, Clerk, Essa Township
Fund Raising Committee (Chairperson: S. Macdonald)
Angus Lions Canada Day Draw
5. Minutes of the Preceding Regular Meeting: April 27, 2009
2009: 029 Moved: Seconded:
THAT the Minutes of the April 27, 2009 Regular Meeting be approved as printed and circulated.
6. Business Arising from the Minutes
5.1 Re Item Angus Parking, see CEO Report
1. 24/04/09 JHSC Workplace Inspection Angus: lights need replacing, south emergency door alarm not sounding
2. 27/04/09 JHSC Workplace Inspection Thornton: no hazards to report
3. 22/04/09 from FOPL to Minister Carroll re public library funding, citing increased funding by Alberta and Northwest Territories.
4. 28/04/09 from FOPL CEO’s Report to Members re the internet filtering Bill: “The Federation is not aware of any municipality that has supported Bill 128, except the City of Cambridge”; re OPLG: Under a new agreement, the Federation assumes all corporate governance responsibility and accountability for Ontario Public Library Guidelines Monitoring and Accreditation Council (OPLGMAC); re proposed changes to membership fee: responding feedback has been overwhelmingly positive to the changes.
5. 29/04/09 from Gwen Wheeler, SOLS re AODA Regulation for Accessibility Standards for Customer Service, print-out available on request.
6. 06/05/09 from OMERS, Employer News Spring 2009, by end of 2008 there was a $279M shortfall
7. 06/05/09 from FOPL members and LSC re Harmonized Sales Tax effects on library budgets
8. 11/05/09 from John Baird, M.P. and George Smitherman. M.P.P., Ministers of Infrastructure to Essa Council re infrastructure funding: 420 applications totalling over $1B received for Intake Two of BCF CC with $500M available. “ Results will be announced soon so work can get under way.” “Priority will be given to those projects that are truly shovel ready…for projects that could be started and completed by March 31, 2011.”
2009: 030 Moved: Seconded:
THAT the Correspondence Report be approved as printed and circulated.
8. Chairperson’s Remarks
9. Treasurer’s Report:
8.1 Financial report to April 30, 2009
2009: 031 Moved: L. Arcan Seconded:
THAT the Financial Report to April 30, 2009 be approved as printed and circulated.
10. Chief Executive Officer’s Report: May 2009
9.6 Volunteers for 3 events
11. SOLS Liaison Report (R. Cade)
12. Committee Reports:
11.1 Finance Committee (Chairperson: L. Arcan)
11.2 Policy and Planning Committee (Chairperson: R. Cade)
Accessible Customer Service Policy
2009: 032 Moved: Seconded:
THAT the Accessible Customer Service Policy be approved.
11.3 Personnel Committee (Chairperson: K. Hallikainen)
13. Other Business
Extra Meeting: June 29 or September 14 or 21?
14. Next Meeting: Monday, June 22, 2009, 7pm, Thornton Branch, Essa Public Library
2009: 033 Moved:
THAT the Meeting be adjourned at
ADDITIONAL ITEMS TO THIS AGENDA MUST ADDED BE AND CIRCULATED TO BOARD MEMBERS AND
POSTED ON THE LIBRARY WEBSITE FOR THE PUBLIC BY THE FRIDAY PROCEDING THIS MEETING.
PLEASE NOTIFY THE CEO OF AMENDMENTS BY 11:00AM FRIDAY.